Monday, December 06, 2010

advent

For the four Sundays in advent I am doing a sermon series focusing on the person of Jesus, entitled "What Child is This?" that coincides with the advent candles (prophet, Bethlehem, shepherds and angels). The first week I dealt with Jesus as more than just a prophet, asking the question Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say I am?" This past Sunday I spoke on why Jesus came to us a king in a manger, and the intimacy of God knowing who we are and identifying with us by coming to us in such a lowly manner. Next week is Jesus as the good shepherd. For the fourth week I'm focusing on Jesus as the good news the angels proclaimed.
I know there is a lot more theological depth to plunge into when you're talking about the person of Jesus and christology, but I have found it refreshing to try to keep things simple... not throwing a lot of theological baggage around. And that is refreshing, not worrying about who said what about this or that, but simply letting Jesus be Jesus. It is probably easier said than done - we always bring something from ourselves when we think about Jesus - but if we let the text speak, I think we can come to some fresh perspectives on Jesus, especially during this advent season.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: